Today is good because, for the first time in many weeks, I’m not working tomorrow. And that is lovely.
There are many things on my mind lately. And there are no links! Deal with it.
1. I covered a high school girls’ soccer game last weekend. It was different than what I normally do and write about, and I quite enjoyed it. It reminded me how much fun high school sports are, and I quite missed the days standing on the sidelines with camera in hand. Good times.
While covering the soccer games, one of the dads asked me if I was a scout from Juneau. I laughed quite loud. I hope I didn’t make him feel bad. Our girls beat Juneau-Douglas back-to-back in the season close last year. It’s quite the rivalry.
2. Texting with my brother about the soccer game brought on some nostalgia and hometown pride, and it’s stuck with me through the week. I’ve enjoyed it. Down with purple; black and gold forever.
3. I finished watching Game of Thrones this week. It’s amazing. I finished just in time to pick up with the new season on Sunday, so that’s lovely. I’m still reeling days later from the Red Wedding. Red, indeed. Yikes.
4. I find it difficult to read a book during the month while binge-watching multiple seasons of a TV show. I might take a break from binge-watching during April so I can catch up on some of the other things I’ve been putting off. Like reading. And dishes. And calligraphy. And completing my taxes.
5. Speaking of taxes, I really do need to get that paperwork done. I know in the back of my mind that it’s not going to be so terrible and complicated, but I haven’t been motivated to get it done at all. But this is it; it’s happening. Tomorrow.
6. I made my first student loan payment today. A bit nerve-wracking. I’m trying not to apply for one of those “alter your payment” plans, and so far so good. But this was just the first month, so we’ll see what happens from here.
7. I’m 30 now. That means I deserve nice things. But, see #6? Sigh. Life on a budget.
8. I picked up quilting in the past month. I started two projects because I can’t seem to do only one thing at a time. Both involve hexagons and they are perfect, and cheerful and wonderful. Obvs, I love them. I need a couple more fat quarters to complete the more labor-intensive project, and a couple more packs of pre-cut hexies for the second. If you’re not gonna do it big, why do it? Right?
9. This weekend I’m watching three dogs, counting my own. I may just drive my neighbor bonkers. But she has a yappy little dog, so she had it coming anyway. After we all settled in last night, it was quite fun. Each furry thing is noticeably different than the others. And who would have thought a dog more nervous and Ellie existed?! But, so far so good.
10. I’m looking forward to vacation. I don’t know when I’m going, or where. But it’ll be someplace warm and relaxing, where I can read a book and go swimming and do a little exploring. Sounds beach-Like to me. Either way, I’ve been thinking about taking a vacation, and I’d like to do that someday.
11. I’ve been listening to #ThrowbackThursday station on Spotify. I suppose that is prolonging my nostalgia. It’s been wonderful. The station is full of Third Eye Blind, Radiohead, Matchbox Twenty Alanis Morisette, 10,000 Maniacs, Deep Blue Something and Smashing Pumpkins. So if that’s your thing like it’s mine, listen to it.
In similar news, Weezer was labeled as classic rock this week, so there’s that.
Also, I was reminded this week that the first music video I ever saw was R.E.M.’s Losing My Religion. For some reason, I feel like that might explain things about it.